We believe that systems thinking and complexity science can be transformational in global health by increasing local capacity and shared learning, and minimizing unintended consequences.
As I have worked on the first draft of the consensus statement for health systems strengthening, several resources have proved very useful (in no particular order):
1. GAVI Alliance’s “Guiding Principles of HSS”
2. WHO’s “Strengthening Health Systems to Improve Health Outcomes”
3. Perry and Freeman’s “How Effective Is Community-Based Primary Health Care in Improving the Health of Children?”
4. The World Bank’s “Improving Health Service Delivery in Developing Countries”
5. The NGO Code of Conduct for Health Systems Strengthening
6. Paris Declaration on Aid Effectiveness
7. Brown’s “Lessons Learned in Institutionalization of Quality Assurance Programs: an International Perspective”
8. Taylor and Taylor’s “Just and Lasting Change: When Communities Own Their Futures”
9. World Bank’s “Health System Strengthening Workshop”
10. “Health system capacity building: review of the literature”
Let me know if there are other useful articles, books, and other resources.